Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Robotic Research Program -- (# 1)


 I have signed up to be part of a part of a robotics research program. It's located in White Plains, New York at the Burke Rehab Hospital. Burke is a very well reputed rehab hospital and I was lucky enough to be included in a tDCS-Robotics Study. The study is to assess the effect of usin tDCS in conjunction with robotic training on regaining use of damaged function.


(If you have trouble playing the Venture capitalist Marc Tesler Burke Award Honoree video on your iPhone/iPod/iPad, it can be played on your computer at http://youtu.be/o1eNBsFskgE.)


 
(If you have trouble playing the Brief Description of the InMotion Robot and Human Interaction video on your iPhone/iPod/iPad, it can be played on your computer at http://youtu.be/MtxovOuCTvk.)


 


 


So far I have had two evaluation sessions preceding my actual therapy where they measured my baseline capabilities. I also had a speech evaluation to set a baseline as to my speech capability before the program begins. I will also have one at the completion to determine whether there was any improvement in my speech compatibilities. Today was the first session of the actual treatment. I will need to go three days a week for twelve weeks to complete the program.  

This programs involves applying electrodes to my head and applying an electric current to specific areas of my brain.


After that I move to a set of Robotic equipment where I take turns moving my arm (as best I can) in specific motions both under my own power and sometimes with the assistance of the robotic device.

I am looking forward to significant improvement in the use of my arm and hand, because I am broken. I want to try everything I can to work on my recovery.

STAY TUNED!



No comments:

Post a Comment