Thursday, December 1, 2016

"I have aphasia." letter

I had a stroke 9 years ago. 

I was forty-three years old and I was working for Apple as an AppleCare Project Manager.

I live in a 2 story apartment.  One day, I was getting ready for work when my right side became weak.  

My phone was downstairs and I couldn't reach it.  So, I waited for help for 5 hours.

My co-worker, Alberto was wondering what happened to me.  He decided to come to my place.

Alberto saw my car and knew that I was home and that something was wrong.  He kicked the door down found me then called 9-1-1. 

The ambulance took me to Good Samaritan Hospital. 

I was diagnosed with aphasia, apraxia and an auditory processing disorder. 

I stayed 1 week then I was transferred to Mission Oaks Hospital for rehab.

My college friend, Karen is a speech therapist.  She talks with family and friends about aphasia.  My friends are patient and help me.  My friends know my intelligence is intact. I like that!

Some of their friends don't understand aphasia. They are clueless.  

Please forward this email to family and friends to help them understand aphasia. It will give them tips and try these aphasia simulations to learn what it might be like to have aphasia. 

I'm fine with you editing, deleting or adding at "I have aphasia" letter.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Family & friends,

I have aphasia.  What is aphasia?  Good question.

Aphasia is a language disorder that can affect speaking, reading, writing and understanding.  Common causes of aphasia are a stroke, brain tumors or surgery, brain infections or neurological diseases.

No two people are ever exactly alike and there are various forms of aphasia. Aphasia is an invisible disability that affects language.  


Judgment and intellect are intact.  

Very crucial!! To help you can be patient and wait for a response.  Resist the urge to finish their sentences or offer words.  Wait.  Offer suggestions when I ask.

Include the person with aphasia in activities and conversation.

There are key things in a small or a big group:
  • With big parties limit loud background noise. I understand parties are loud, but it does make it difficult to speak. 
  • When it is too loud to speak either ask yes/no questions, show pictures to communicate, or play games that don't require speaking. My blog for game ideas is here
  • When visiting me or someone with aphasia no more than 4 people.

Here are videos and handouts about aphasia:   


The purpose of these aphasia simulations is to provide some activities that can help you understand what it might be like to have aphasia:  here


"How to Speak with Someone After an Aphasia" Video: https://youtu.be/jw949zkoeYE




Children's video - The Treasure Hunt:  https://youtu.be/Gq12cMUZPg4


The Treasure Hunt image


Tips for speaking with people with aphasia PDF here


Tips for speaking with people with aphasia image














No comments:

Post a Comment