Saturday, November 5, 2011

Driver License - California

I got my driver license back in the summer of 2009, two years after my stroke.

Friends helped me to re-learn how to drive. They went with me to practice and helped give me confidence as I learned to use my left foot and left hand. I got a steering knob to help me drive with just my left hand.

Some communities have driving classes for stroke survivors. Ask at your local rehabilitation hospital for references.

After I became confident behind the wheel, I had to complete several steps in order to regain my license.

First, I had to be cleared by my doctor. I had to complete California Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) form DS-326 Driver Medical Evaluation. Check with your state's DMV for specific requirements.

Finally, I had to be interviewed by a safety officer at the DMV. And, of course I had to re-take my eye exam and behind-the-wheel driving test.  I was able to pass the test!

My license expired a year after I got it.  I took an on-line defensive driving courseI went back and took the written test. It was close but I made it!  My license doesn't expire until 2015!



4 comments:

  1. Oh ya this is the normal procedures when you need to complete the California Driving Test particularly for stroke survivors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah you need to follow the normal procedures when you have an expired license with you. Practicing will help you to drive safe and at Anderson Driving School we will make you efficient enough to take the California driving test and pass it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. , I read your blog now share great information here. This blog increse my knowledge source . กรอบป้ายทะเบียนรถ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometime it becomes very hard to find a well written and well established bog which give you correct and useful information. However, I found this blog and got some relevant information which are really helpful for me.ถาดปูพื้นรถยนต์

    ReplyDelete