Saturday, May 5, 2012

"I have a speech problem called aphasia."

One of the first things that you should do if you suffer from aphasia as a result of  a stroke or some other head injury, is to let the person you are dealing with know that you have a problem communicating.  At the University of Michigan's Aphasia program one the most important and helpful things I learned to say was "I have a speech problem called aphasia".  This has been so important when communicating with the waitstaff at restaurants, with a mechanic or any other person I may meet during my daily routine.

Following is a link to the program:  University of Michigan Aphasia Program:  here.

I found that I needed more than just my own speech to communicate.  To assist me I found a application for my iphone called Prologuo2go.  This saves previously set up phrases that I can play back to the person I am communicating with.

Please use the following link for more information on Proloquo2Go:  here







No comments:

Post a Comment