Sunday, February 5, 2017

Tips about going to restaurants


I’m going to share some TIPS about going out to Restaurants.



1. Pick a Good Restaurant for aphasia.

a. I use Yelp website for good food, noise level and out seating.




b. I use Google maps for popular times and good food.

I may go when it is not too busy. I don’t like loud restaurants.



2. Before I go to the restaurant, I finds the menu online – and I practice before they go...confident in my ordering.

3. I should ask the hostess, "what is the quiet table?"

4. I also use earplugs.

I like musical earplugs.  I take them when I go.

If it is too loud – I use the earplugs.

Google "Musical Ear Plugs" or check for my blog - here

4. I say to the server,  "I have a speech problem with aphasia." It's helpful.  The server is patient - here

5. Cheryl had a tip from a person with aphasia. 

When he went to a fast food restaurant and could not talk, he used a laser pointer, like lecturers use.

He pointed to the giant wall to place his order.



6.  An individual is one handed.  Many people with aphasia have right hand is not working. 

A friend discreetly asks the server to have the staff cut the meat before they bring it to the table

7.  When you are dining with friends and family, show them the “How you can help?" paper or PDF smartphone - here



9.  I used a tip calculator app.  I like this because a tip percentage and split it.




Don’t let aphasia stop you from going out.
Find ways to adapt.
Get out.
Have fun.

1 comment:

  1. Trish, I ran across your blog and I think it's great! I am a waitress I can confirm that these are great strategies, if someone with aphasia came into my restaurant and used any of these strategies I am sure that they would have a successful meal out. I especially like the one about asking for the food to be cut before it comes out to the table. This is not an uncommon request, I frequently have customers ask for their salad to be chopped, and I have had some customers ask for their steaks to be cut in advance.

    ReplyDelete